Beet Green Quiche
Recipe Type: Main
- 8-inch tart shell/pie crust, partially baked ( or go no shell and straight into a glass baking dish)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped beet greens
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons milk, half-and-half, or cream
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until deep yellow-brown. Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Saute for a minute. Add beet greens and saute, stirring often so they wilt evenly. If the greens are sticking to the pan, add a tablespoon or two of water (or wine) to deglaze. Remove pan from heat.
- Break eggs into a mixing bowl and beat lightly. Add milk and whisk together. Add black pepper and cheese. A few tablespoons at a time, fold beet green mixture in to eggs until combined.
- Pour filling into prepared tart shell and smooth to ensure even cooking. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake in the upper third of the oven for 15-20 minutes until top is golden and center has set. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.